1. Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Wenn du dich weiterhin auf dieser Seite aufhältst, akzeptierst du unseren Einsatz von Cookies. Weitere Informationen

Varjo XR-4

Dieses Thema im Forum "Varjo" wurde erstellt von axacuatl, 14. November 2023.

1. Mit wird seltsamerweise gar kein Thread zur Varjo XR-4 angezeigt?!

https://varjo.com/products/xr-4/

3840x3744
    HFoV 120
    VFoV 105
    51 PPD (Peak)
    33 PPD (Peak) MR Kameras

Sie kostet 4.800,-. Es gibt auch noch eine Focal Edition & Secure Edition, beide aber im fünfstelligen Bereich.

Hier ein ganz interessanter Erste Eindrücke Bericht eines Users aus dem Pimax Forum:

So here come my first quick impressions, starting with the negatives:

Build quality: optical track, facial interface, lenses and electronics are on Varjo level, fully beyond reproach. But the shell and strap feel like a big step down from a VR-3 with the latter’s use of fabrics and solidity.

Adjustability: the forehead strap is not on an adjustable pivot anymore but fixed instead. Although the pad itself is hinged, this reduces the range of motion of the entire headstrap assembly and made it harder to dial in a perfect fit for my, admittedly freakishly large, skull.

Sound: the Quest3-like speakers are there and that’s an improvement over the complete lack of audio on Gen3 but they’re not a replacement for a dedicated earbud or over-ear setup.

Weight: aspheric lenses and the myriad of tech compenents inside the XR-4 demand their toll. It’s not unwieldy like a Crystal but I can feel the inertia on quick head movements.

Resolution: weird to have this in the cons, I know, but my 4090 feels like a 1060 again. 5k+ x 5k+ per eye in OpenVR for 35ppd is no slouch and the GPU feels it.

MR: Varjo made it very clear that their software stack is in a beta state but the quality of pass through is worse than with my Pico4 and in an entirely different league than an XR-3. Of course the hardware is capable of a stunning experience but right now, it’s severely held back by software.

IO tracking: only tried it as a quick AB comparison to LH tracking and it was terrible in a dimly lit room.

USB architecture: this is a contributing factor to my bad MR experience: the USB architecture Varjo developed for this is beyond the capacity of my otherwise flawless USB setup of my Z690 Glacial Extreme with a dedicated Startech PCIE USB *3.1* addon card. It does require USB 3.2 Gen2, admittedly, but neither my motherboard’s USB 3.2 Gen2, USB 3.2 Gen2x2 nor my USB4/Thunderbolt port satisfy the required bandwidth and lead to ‘low USB performance’ errors in Varjo Base. This shows as poor ET performance both in DFR as well as in MR mode.

Now to the upsides starting with a foregone conclusion: this is the worthy replacement of my VR-3, will be my daily driver for at least 2-3 years and is the best VR experience I have had to date.

Resolution: in Varjo desktop as well as Varjo experiences and experiences that support OpenXR QuadView for 55ppd support, this is beyond breathtaking. It‘s a 4K experience to my 40 year old eyes and even at 35ppd in OpenVR, we have left the diminishing returns scenario and are on plateau. I have no desire for more resolution whatsoever for what comes next, this was a pinnacle moment for me.

FOV: I loved the VR-3 for its resolution but didn’t like its lack of FOV, particularly hFOV. The XR-4 has Index+ FOV and at closest eye relief (a plus all by itself), the largest FOV I have experienced other than in a 5K|8K Pimax HMD. It’s geometrically stable except for a 2-3 degrees sliver at the very edge and clear across the entire lens. I see no Mura.

Clarity: as a function of the insanely good optical stack and panel quality, this is the new king of clarity. Period.

Back levels/contrast: the local dimming is so good that even in extreme scenarios, I saw no blooming and if I hadn’t known better, would have me convinced these were OLED panels. Black is pitchblack and the 200nit peak clarity makes for an awesome contrast ratio.

Comfort: the facial interface is a new concept: there are now only three points of direct contact between face and HMD, limited to the cranium, the forehead padding and a sliver of padding about an inch wide on top of the eyebrows. That means the cheekbones and nose bear no weight or pressure at all, instead a smooth and thin silicone sleeve blocks any light intrusion. After really dialling in particularly the cranium cradle‘s pivot hinge to my liking, I could wear this for hours with no fatigue or discomfort.

Software: I had no issues at all but this appears largely due to the LH tracking which I purchased at additional cost. It’s a major issue for most XR-4 users so far but luckily appears to be limited to the tracking part. Unlike for others, I had no problems launching all my OpenVR titles and pairing Index controllers was a native experience. Very much like the UI and UX of VB.

CA: I see none but I am also red-green colourblind so take my handicap into consideration.

That’s it for now, let me know what I missed in the comments down below and don’t forget to like an subscribe, it’s what keeps this channel above water. (Sorry, I had to ;))

https://community.openmr.com/t/varjo-event-xr-4/41302/70

SolKutTeR: Beitrag verschoben

#51 axacuatl, 10. Januar 2024
    Zuletzt von einem Moderator bearbeitet: 11. Januar 2024
    SolKutTeR gefällt das.
  2. SolKutTeR gefällt das.
  3. Zur Ehrenrettung muss man sagen das die Forensuche nicht die Beste ist;)

axacuatl und Odyssey_Plus_Man gefällt das.
  4. Da hast Du leider recht @komisch, daher sage ich immer wieder, bestenfalls die Suche mit "Nur die Titel durchsuchen". (y)
    Dank Dir @Odyssey_Plus_Man, ich habe es mal verschoben. (y)

axacuatl und Odyssey_Plus_Man gefällt das.
  5. Danke - auch noch einen Thread, den ich selber aufgesetzt hatte :whistle:

@SolKutTeR: magst du den mal in der Headset Rubrik bei Varjo verorten und am besten auch festpinnen? Da hatte ich nämlich auch gesucht und ihn nicht gefunden. Als AR Brille würde ich das auch nicht wirklich sehen, dazu haben wir die anderen, vergleichbaren Varjo Vorgänger auch alle in der anderen Abteilung…

SolKutTeR und Odyssey_Plus_Man gefällt das.
  6. Vielleicht interessiert dieser individuelle Vergleich ja jemanden...

Odyssey_Plus_Man gefällt das.
  7. Nur sollte man dabei berücksichtigen, dass Sweviver für Pimax arbeitet, also natürlich im Zweifel zugunsten der Crystal bewertet (hab's mir noch nicht angesehen).

SolKutTeR gefällt das.
  8. Das Video wirkt aber sehr ehrlich, so wie der SweViver halt ist. Die Varjo gewinnt den FOV Vergleich im Wesentlichen auch.

axacuatl gefällt das.
  9. Crystal 1000er weniger oder wie viel?